Monday, May 19, 2008

preparing

Ok so the time is coming closer to him leaving, and as he prepares to go alot of my friends husbands are coming home. My husband is amazingly kind and truthfully he spoils me rotten. I don't want him to leave for Iraq, for 15 months and then come home as a totally different person.
I have several friends that are dealing with these issues, PTSD on the extreme side, how do you support that, you don't KNOW what they went through so you can't relate to them, this frightens me. I have another friend and her DH wont sleep at night and he is heavily drinking every day. They wont talk to their spouses about it, and if my friends try to talk about it, they are snapped at and then the subject has to be dropped.
So as I am getting ready for DH to leave, and don't get me wrong I am very proud of him, I am afraid that when he comes home I will not know my DH and I will have lost my best friend. There is no one that I am closer to, or that I would rather spend time with. But will I recognize the man he is when he comes home?
Will I be the same person he left behind?
I don't want to lose my best friend, I hate sounding selfish, has this happened to a lot of you? Is everything I am seeing the norm, or an exception?

Blessings
Mel

1 comment:

cheryl said...

I do not think you sound selfish at all. I think you have the right to feel this way. These are the same thoughts and concerns I am having to deal with also. Whether they are the norm, beats me....but they are there and I am having to deal with them. I'm thinking: we have been married 25 years come July and when he gets home in October we are going to have to get to know one another and get used to living together again. Sounds odd, and a little scary doesn't it? The best thing we as a couple can do is honestly tell each other how we feel and what we are afraid of and PRAY for each other a lot!!! I too am so proud of my husband but I cannot wait until this is over. Thank God that after this deployment is over, hubby is retired from National Guard! I can't wait to have him home to myself and not have to worry about him being called to active duty anymore!